Action Sports Cameras are unique, instead of your standard hand held camcorders these cameras are used in many different ways. These cameras are quite compact, hard wearing and easy to operate. However what makes them so popular are the wide range of activities and conditions that they can be used in. The quality of high definition videos that these cameras can take are outstanding. As well as the fact they are able to capture movement in great focus.
You would want to use this type of camera when taking part in extreme sports, hiking, water sports, travel and adventure. As you need equipment that can go along with you to different places, capable of capturing specific footage.
Last update on 2018-07-26 at 07:01 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
When looking to buy a camera there are a few important things to consider:
Nearly all the latest action cameras use 4K 1080p Video resolution. This is because this resolution allows for a smooth video, which means that action will be continuous and mainly uninterrupted. This means that you will hardly have to keep on pressing buttons so that it will continue to film. Along with video resolution you want to look for a still resolution of more than 14 MP. This is so when you are capturing still shots they will near enough be of the same quality of a bridge cameras. Cameras at the higher end of the market usually have 16 MP.
Top Sellers#1 Best SellerGoPro HERO5 Black — Waterproof Digital Action Camera for Travel with Touch Screen 4K HD Video 12MP Photos
#2 Best SellerGoPro HERO6 Black — Waterproof Digital Action Camera for Travel with Touch Screen 4K HD Video 12MP Photos
- Stunning 4K video and 12MP photos in Single, Burst and Time Lapse modes. Charger not included
- Durable by design, HERO5 Black is waterproof to 33ft (10m) without a housing
- Additional GoPro HERO5 Black Features + Benefits below on item page. Time Lapse Photo Intervals: 0.5, 1, 2, 5, 10, 30, 60 seconds
#3 Best SellerWewdigi EV5000 Action Camera, 12MP 1080P 2 Inch LCD Screen, Waterproof Sports Cam 140 Degree Wide Angle Lens, 30m Sport Camera DV Camcorder with 10 Accessories Kit (Black)
- HERO6 Black automatically sends your footage to your phone where the app turns it into a QuikStory-an awesome edited video
- With 4K60 and 1080p240 video,HERO6 Black delivers 2x the performance compared to HERO5 BlackWith an all-new GP1 chip optimized for GoPro capture, HERO6 Black delivers vastly improved image quality
- With our most advanced video stabilization yet, HERO6 Black captures super smooth footage, whether it's handheld or mounted to your gear HERO6 Black is waterproof to 33ft (10m) without a housing
#4 Best SellerGoPro HERO5 Session - Waterproof Digital Action Camera for Travel with 4K HD Video 10MP Photos
- 【Real 1080P 30fps Full HD Recording】This pocket-sized portable action camera offers a real 1080P 30fps videos + 12MP photos, also backward for 720P 30 fps
- 【2 Inch HD Display + 140°Ultra wide angle lens】This HD sport camera can be easily previewed videos and pictures, allowing fast forward/rewind videos and offer a wider field of view.
- 【30m(98feet) Waterproof + 1050 mAh Battery】 This waterproof action camera is built-in with IP68 Waterproof Case, allowing shooting up to 30 meters under water, perfect for water sports lover. Battery Life up to 90 minutes shooting time.
#5 Best SellerGoPro HERO — Waterproof Digital Action Camera for Travel with Touch Screen 1080p HD Video 10MP Photos
- Durable by design, hero5 session is waterproof to 33ft (10m) without a housing
- Additional GoPro hero5 session features + benefits below on item page. Photos are captured at 10 mp with a 4:3 aspect ratio
- A single press of the shutter button powers the camera on and starts recording automatically
#6 Best SellerGoPro Hero Session 8.0 MP Waterproof Sports & Action Camera with Standard Housing and 2 Adhesive Mounts (Certified Refurbished)
- 2-Inch Touch Screen - Quickly switch between modes, frame the perfect shot and check out your footage on the 2-inch touch screen
- Waterproof + Durable - Built tough and waterproof down to 33ft (10m), HERO goes where your smartphone can't to capture every adventure with no worries
- Voice control - control your Hero hands-free with simple voice commands Like "GoPro, start recording" and "GoPro, take a photo "
#7 Best SellerDragon Touch 4K Action Camera 16MP Sony Sensor Vision 3 Underwater Waterproof Camera 170° Wide Angle WiFi Sports Cam with Remote 2 Batteries and Mounting Accessories Kit
- This Certified Refurbished product is tested and certified to look and work like new. The refurbishing process includes functionality testing, basic cleaning, inspection, and repackaging. The product ships with all relevant accessories, a minimum 90-day warranty, and may arrive in a generic box. Only select sellers who maintain a high performance bar may offer Certified Refurbished products on Amazon.com
- Designed to withstand extreme environments and conditions, HERO Session is waterproof to 33' (10m), no housing needed.
- Simple, grab-and-go operation with a compact, waterproof design and weight of just 2.6oz (74g), Easy one-button control press the button once to power on the camera and begin capturing video or photos automatically.
#8 Best SellerAKASO EK7000 4K WiFi Sports Action Camera Ultra HD Waterproof DV Camcorder 12MP 170 Degree Wide Angle
- 4K ACTION CAMERA with 4X ZOOM: Professional 4K/30FPS, 2.7K/30fps, 1080P/60FPS video and 16MP photo resolution created by Sony Sensor to capture exciting moment for you. This action camera also features zoom range from 1.0X to 4.0X.
- WIRELESS WRIST REMOTE CONTROL: Put the remote control on your wrist while installing the sports camera on your helmet, convenient to record moments in places you can't reach. Wireless range up to 10m(33ft), the remote is not waterproof.
- WIFI ACTION CAMERA with 2" SCREEN: Save and share your sports action camera moments on the phone/tablet with App XDV, WiFi signal ranges up to 33 feet. 2'' screen allows you to preview the video in action camera.
- 4K Ultra HD Action Camera. Professional 4K 25fps & 2.7K 30fps video with 12MP photos at up to 30 frames per second for incredible photos, which is 4 times the resolution of traditional HD cameras.
- Wireless Wrist Remote Control Sports Camera. With a wrist 2.4G remote, you can capture the world in an all-new way. Controlling the camera, framing shots or recording video is convenient.
- Longer Battery Life. AKASO EK7000 action camera comes with 2 rechargeable 1050mAh batteries. Each battery can record up to 90 minutes. No more worry about the recording time for this action camera.
Last update on 2018-09-08 at 17:41 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Along with resolution finding a camera with a good shooting speed is vital. Shooting speeds range between 30fps and 60fps. it is good to look out for a higher shooting speed so that videos are less jumpy and so that pictures are displayed clearer. You wouldn’t want to be in a scenario where you though you were shooting awesome surfing action and then the video is jumpy.
The whole point of these action cameras for sports are that they are compact and small. So when buying one make sure that you are aware of the weight. The lighter the equipment the easier it will be to take around and mount where needed. Weight ranges between 50g and 180g. The cameras that are of the highest quality and efficient usually weigh between 90g and 118g.
Battery life like any device is a must. What a shame to have a video cut short due to battery being short lasting. So when buying a Sports Action Camera look out for the ones that have a least 3 hours of battery life as these are the long lasting ones.
The best part about these camera devices is their features. Unlike normal cameras these action cameras usually come with Bluetooth or WiFi connections. This is so it can transfer files to other devices and apps. Waterproof is another feature that is a must, if its not waterproof is it even worth it? some cameras are splash proof and some cameras can go up to 60M in water. So when buying a camera that says waterproof be sure to check the deepest distance it can go. Depending on how you want to function this camera , some of them come with a screen and some do not come with a screen. Not having a screen means you have to be prepared with another device such a a smart phone etc to be able to view what you are recording, so if you want life to be easier, it may be better off choosing one with an screen, preferably a touch screen. Some other features are also GPS, voice control, LED lights, compass and footage editors. so depending on how high market you want to be or if you want to just keep the functions simple will influence what features you want your Action sports camera to have.
All the above incorporated can mean you are looking at quite a range of prices. Budget models can be had for well under a hundred dollars now with high end models with the latest features costing several hundred dollars.
Along with looking out for the above, it is also important to look out for different mounting options. This is important especially when it comes to what activity you will be taking part in. Some different mounting types available are:
These mounts are good of you are climbing, hiking or biking. As they allow for the camera to sit at the front of your helmet in the center or one side enabling a good capture of video. This is also a cheap mount to find.
Handle Bar Mounts
These are quite universal and adjustable, perfect for motorcycles or your everyday bike. These are designed to keep the camera in place securely.
Glove mounts reduce the limitations that you have in place, they give you total flexibility and seamless rotations. Therefore the size of the action camera for this type of mount is very important , as it will only suit the smaller sized cameras due to the style of the mount.
Chest mounts come in form as a harness placing the camera right in the middle of the chest. Again this mount is handy for skiing, mountain biking and similar activities. These mounts sometimes can get uncomfortable if worn for a long time, so take consideration if you are taking part in a lot of activity
These are your everyday tripod mounts but much more compact to be able to fit these small and compact devices. They can be place nearly anywhere and come with different adapter tools so that they can be used.
Action sports cameras offer much more than your average everyday digital cameras. They capture movements and moments that we generally miss because of waterproofing issues and low quality video capture. When you are looking for one you are obviously looking for the best video camera for sports so a lot of research is needed. No doubt you will be thinking about durability, can it withstand the activity that is going to be done. Therefore this guide should give you an idea of what you will find on the market and also what features matches the activities that you will like to do.